Proposed Project Overview
The proponent is requesting a State Program General Permit (12-SPGP-01) from the Norfolk District Corps of Engineers under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act for the permanent discharge of fill material into 991 linear feet of stream channel and 0.10-acre palustrine forested wetlands as well as the temporary discharge of fill into 14 linear feet of stream channel. The discharge of fill is associated with the construction of a proposed 3 building data center complex and it’s associated infrastructure within the core of the Buckland Mills Battlefield (DHR ID# 030-5152) in Haymarket, Virginia. The Buckland Mills Battlefield is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Why is USACE Involved
A data center with associated infrastructure (i.e. roads, stormwater, etc) is proposed for construction in waters, including wetlands that are regulated under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. The proposed activities will require a Corps permit pursuant to Section 404 of the Clean Water Act regulations.
- Pre-Application Consultation
- Permit Application submitted to VMRC via the SPGP process
- Project forwarded to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ)
- VDEQ makes completeness determination
- VDEQ forwards project to the VDEQ Cultural Resource Specialist for initial Section 106 review
- VDEQ makes Section 106 determination in accordance with the 12-SPGP Section 106 Programmatic Agreement
- VDEQ forwards the project to the USACE for Section 106 coordination
- Other Laws Pursuant to our Permit Review
- Permit verification approved and issued by the VDEQ /permit elevated by the USACE for processing as an individual permit.
The appearance of external hyperlinks is for informational purposes only and does not constitute endorsement by the Department of the Army of the linked websites, or the information, products, or services contained therein. The Department of the Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of these websites.