Tag: history
  • June

    Fort Norfolk to host Battle of Craney Island reenactment

    Fort Norfolk will host the Battle of Craney Island anniversary reenactments 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
  • November

    Fort Norfolk to temporarily close to visitors

    Fort Norfolk will close to visitors from Nov. 12-27 as contractors perform various landscape repairs to the historic War of 1812-era coastal fortification.
  • March

    Norfolk 135: James B. Quinn

    James Baird Quinn; born June 9, 1843; emerged from the U.S. Military Academy as a second lieutenant in 1866, the same year President Andrew Johnson formally declared an end to the U.S. Civil War.
  • August

    Norfolk District 135: Gustav J. Fiebeger

    Fiebeger became the fifth in command of what would later become the Norfolk District when he took over as officer in charge on July 1, 1890.
  • Norfolk District 135: William Price Craighill

    William Price Craighill was the fourth officer in charge of what would later become the Norfolk District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He became the Corps’ first Southeast Division Engineer, overseeing coastal fortification projects in Hampton Roads.
  • Norfolk District 135: Frederick A. Hinman

    Frederick A. Hinman removed sunken vessels “obstructing or endangering navigation,” including the barge Albemarle near Hog Island lighthouse in Virginia, the schooner Maria and Elizabeth near Cape Charles lighthouse in Virginia, the schooner Tarry Not near Craney Island near the mouth of the Nansemond River, the schooner Anthea Godfrey in “Lynn Haven Roads, Virginia” [sic] (which was destroyed by explosives after having shown the wreck and cargo were valueless), and the steamer Concord, which was burned and sunk in the Pamplico River near Washington, North Carolina.
  • July

    Norfolk District 135: James Mercur

    On June 15, 1881, Capt. James Mercur took command as the second engineer in charge of the Norfolk office after Capt. Charles B. Phillips, the first engineer in charge, died while still in command. He was in charge of improving the Norfolk, Virginia and Beaufort and Edenton, North Carolina harbors; Cape Fear River and Currituck Sound
  • Norfolk District 135: Charles B. Phillips

    Editor’s note: Beginning July 1, 2014, Norfolk District celebrates its 135 Anniversary. Stay with us throughout the year as we look back at our former commanders, completed projects and distinguished employees. On July 1, 1879, Capt. Charles B. Phillips became the Engineer in Charge of the United States Engineer Office in Norfolk, which was the predecessor to the Norfolk District.
  • May

    Historic Fort Norfolk reopens ahead of schedule

    Fort Norfolk reopened to the public today, four weeks ahead of schedule, after contractors replaced the roof on the circa-1855 magazine building here.