US Army Corps of Engineers
Norfolk District Website

Plum Tree Island Aerial
Formerly known as the Plum Tree Island Range, Plum Tree Island was used by the Defense Department for aerial bombing and gunnery practice from 1917 through the late 1950s. The former bombing range consisted of approximately 3,200 acres. In 1972, it was transferred to the Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and now is considered a Formely Used Defense Site. The entire refuge remains closed to all public use due to the potential for encountering unexploded ordnance.

Download Image: Full Size (0.98 MB)
Photo by: Patrick Bloodgood |  VIRIN: 090312-A-OI229-006.JPG