Public Notice Number: NAO-DHA-9905-20- Survey Technician
Opening and Closing Dates: February 5 – 11 2020 (11:59pm EST)
Position Title: Survey Technician
Full Performance Level: GS-08. Non-competitive promotion to the next level may be achieved, provided the incumbent is sufficiently experienced; meets all the necessary qualifications and training requirements for promotion to the target job; and, is performing the full scope of the major duties and is functioning under the supervisory controls stated in the target job description.
Duty Location: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk District, Norfolk, VA
Salary Range: $39,109 - $62,569
Work Schedule: Full-time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Start Date: On or about to March 2, 2020
Relocation: Relocation (PCS) expenses are not authorized
Travel Requirement: 55% Temporary Duty Travel required
Who May Apply: U.S Citizens, nationals, or those who owe allegiance to the United States.
Eligibility Requirements: Any individual who meets the following qualification requirements may apply for this position under DHA. Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Specialized Experience: Performs geodetic, topographic, and bathymetric surveys in support of the District’s Civil Works mission to include navigation and construction. Utilizes a variety of equipment such as data collectors, total stations, global positioning systems, multi-beam sonar systems, side scan sonar systems, scientific calculators and Microsoft (MS) Windows computers and software such as Autodesk Civil 3D, Hypack, and MS Office Suite (Word, Excel).
Responsibilities and Duties:
Serves as a member of the survey team supporting civil works, interagency, and military projects using knowledge of geodetic, topographic, and bathymetric surveying process and procedures leading a team of survey technicians.
- Operates various types of survey equipment such as sonars, theodolites, and data collectors and software such as CADD, hydrographic/topographic/geodetic (data collection, editing, and analysis), word processing, spreadsheets, and database.
- Prepares field notes, reference maps, sketches, surveying engineering computations, data processing, coordinates calculations, and geodetic control research for surveying and engineering projects.
- Integrates, configures, and calibrates surveying engineering systems for hydrographic, topographic, and geodetic surveying.
Condition of Employment:
Must meet suitability for Federal employment
- Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
- Personnel security investigation required
- Will be required to serve a 2 year probationary period upon new appointment
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position.
- Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities.
- Incumbent of this position must be enrolled in the Hearing Conservation Program and must undergo pre-employment, annual and pre-termination audiograms (per NAOSA DF dtd 331 May 84).
- Incumbent is required to operate a motor vehicle; therefore, must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license.
- Incumbent will be required to obtain and maintain a USACE license for the operation of motorboats less than 26 feet.
- Incumbent is required to travel to perform duties. Travel could be as much as 200 days a year.
- Incumbent must be able to enter and exit through boat hatches that have a width of 15 in., lifting scientific and surveying equipment that weigh 50 lbs, and sustained physical effort when operating a 20 lbs chainsaw.
- Work assignments involve working outside, standing, climbing, and walking through Rugged terrain
- All Army personnel will comply with safety regulations, occupational safety and health standards, and other safety directives and orders.
- This position is not a telework position.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume (citing specialized experience) via email: to CENAO-RECRUIT@usace.army.mil. Please submit all information in PDF or Word format. Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Survey Technician NAO-DHA-9905-20. Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm EST on February 11, 2020.
Application packages that are received after the closing date, do not contain resume showing specialized experience, or are submitted in unreadable formats, will not be considered.